Monday, April 11, 2016

DIY Barn Closet Doors Complete

Hey! We finished the barn doors - and I finally got around to taking photos! I LOVE the transformation.

Here's a before shot - the bifold doors were ugly, tight (to walk through) and awkward to use. When we redid the closet, David repaired the drywall and made one large opening in the center - I love how open it feels now! 

I won't be sharing a tutorial - sorry! Since they were custom to work with our ceiling, I'm not sure a full tutorial will be helpful. I will share a some general tips though.

The track is made from 1.5" 3/16" thick flat steel bar - David welded supports to go into the door frame and ends to attach it to the wall.

The hangers are also made from the same steel bar with a wheel from a pully at Home Depot. We originally purchased ball bearing wheels from Amazon (which would have been smoother) - but they were too large to fit in this space.

The doors were made from 1x3 poplar and 1/4" birch plywood - using tongue and groove router bits to create shaker doors.

Since we renovated our closet, we've kept it pretty clean - amazing how having an organized space can do that! So, we keep the doors open for the most part.

Large handles are from DLawless! I love the large scale and clean lines.

Since it's white on white, it's hard to capture in a photo, but the subtle contrast of the shaker door looks so good in person. I love how the doors frame the space!

Progress in here has been slow (we've been working outside recently) Next, I'd love to add draperies, a new bed, and chandelier. Too many projects - too little time!

That's it for today, have a great week!!


  1. I hope you don't get sick of me telling you how good everything is that you two do. This gives your closet the grand entrance it deserves. Fabulous!

  2. Great work! I haven't commented in a while, but just a head's up that it's become a bit tricky post a comment unless you've got a pre-established account with another provider like google or word press... For just the folks that want to follow along and occasionally cheer you on, I had to set up a blogger account (without anything in it) just to comment.


Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! I love hearing what you think! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover