So I'll be sharing this project in real time - from finding a second hand piece to finished photos.
So this Friday, we decided to take a day trip to Asheville (about 2 hours away) and visit vintage/thrift shops and the Biltmore. You can't tell from the photo, but it was a gorgeous day, the weather was perfect and the sky was a mix of the prettiest blue and clouds (except in this photo ..) I needed a day to recharge, picking up one of my bucket list furniture finds and soaking up the architecture and interior details, did just the trick!
Saturday, I started taking them apart. As you can see, the upholstery needs to be replaced.
Some of the wood joints were broken and repaired (but not well ..)
Saturday, I spent a good portion of the day removing all of the upholstery and staples from the back and seat. My preference is a small pair of needle nose pliers (I like the ones below, comes in a pack of three at Home Depot) these are great since they pop back open when you release. I also like a flat screw driver with a thin tip, it allows you to get underneath the staple easier. Though it is good to have a larger set too because it's easier on your hands (mine are still sore today ..) Pulling staples is definitely my least favorite task .. if anyone has tips to make it easier, I'd love to hear!
The seats are secured underneath with screws ..
The upholstered backs left staple holes everywhere .. the faux bamboo was also notched out ..
Sunday, I filled the staple holes and notched out bamboo with wood filler. Since the notched out bamboo requires more wood filler, I will let it sit overnight - prior to sanding.
We repaired the damage arm by stripping the old glue and nail, then re-aligned the wood, added wood glue and clamped into place with a ratchet strap (a great tip, if clamps wont work!). Clamping is the key to strong, durable bond when using wood glue. Once dry, we used wood filler to fill in the missing wood.
Purchasing these with an upholstered back (when I want the exposed back) will add a few extra days of work, but I figured I've waited 3 years, a few extra days of work will be well worth it!
That's where I'm at! Due to the damage, I'm planning on reupholstering the seat, leaving the back as is and painting the frame.
Total time invested:
Picking up chairs: 4 hours (we did make a day trip out of it .. and usually our finds are only about 10-30 minutes away ..)
Removing staples and upholstery: an afternoon
Repairing damaged wood with wood glue and wood filler: about 2 hours
Up next, sanding, priming the frame and picking out fabric for the seat.
We have lots of projects in the works .. so stay tuned!!
Also, don't forget to check out my latest DIY project, at Infarrantly Creative!!