Today I'm sharing a bold painted trunk, originally posted on Infarrantly Creative, if you missed it there, read on!
A few weeks ago, I found a beaten up trunk at a thrift store for only $7. Yes, $7! I love thrifting! Once cleaned up, it was better, but it still needed a wow! Inspired by the an issue of HGTV magazine, I created a bright, modern take on an old trunk.
First, I cleaned it up. Mine had stickers on it so I used Goo Gone and a Brillo pad. Then I wiped it down with a little white vinegar and water.
Now it was ready for paint. My trunk had a plastic finish, so I used a Kilz Adhesion Bonding Primer since it's formulated to stick to glossy surfaces. The consistency is perfect straight out of the can (not too thin and not too thick), it also resists brush strokes, and it adheres super well! (I also used here on a laminate dresser)
I was sent this to test out from Kilz, but I wasn't compensated for a review, all opinions are all mine.
I brushed over the entire trunk with the latches open, so the lid was cracked. This prevents the paint from closing it shut.
I was originally going to do a white and gray stripe, but I wanted something different - something bold. Inspired by my new favorite Lula & Georgia rug, I painted it with an orange and coral stripe.
First, I gave it a coat of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Barcelona Orange.
Once dry, I created stripes with 1.25" painters tape. To make sure the lines were even, I used small pieces of painters tape between rows to offset the stripes. The latches were a little tricky, I just tore smaller pieces to get in the crevices.
After taping, I removed my guide lines, pressed the tape down firmly to prevent bleed through and brushed on a custom mix of Behr Cool Lava and ASCP Barcelona orange.
Once dry, for added protection, I brushed on a thin coat of clear polyurethane.
I LOVE how bright and happy it is now. Thrifting is great because at a low price point, you can afford to experiment make things your own - so get creative and go bold!
Eames chair tutorial here, DIY painting here, DIY Gold Leaf print here