Hi! I hope that you had a great labor day weekend!! We labored a little too much. Ok that's an exaggeration ... but getting some of our furniture ready to sell took a lot of time!
A large chunk of that time was getting the grasscloth and nailhead feature wall ready to sell. When we made the wall, we weren't thinking about how we were going to get it out of the room (time crunch for Creating with the Stars) ... we ended up rough cutting it in three pieces in the room and then we cut the edges again, re attached the trim, and added new trim so that the individual panels would make sense. The center panel is on it's side in this pic so that the wood filler was in the sun to dry. The buyers came 20 minutes early and we were still painting, awkward ... but we made it. We had to use a hair dryer to get the paint to dry faster, yikes!
Did you know that the herringbone driftwood table wasn't the original intent for the wood we collected? Back in March, for Creating with the Stars, I had another project planned that I never got to, so I had some roughly cut pieces of wood laying around. David made a few more cuts and we now have long 1/2" square pieces.
I started on a project, but I'm not as excited about it as I should be, so I think I'm going to rethink things ... sometimes you just need a day or two to clear your head. Right? Stay tuned :)
Today we started on the Eames shell chair. We weren't in love with the burnt orange color (I tend to like brighter, bolder colors) We decided to try dyeing it charcoal first. If it doesn't work out, we'll try reupholstering it or taking the foam off and sanding it down to the fiberglass (worst case ... since we've already done it twice and it was A LOT of work!)
Kara Paslay dyed a chair with similar fabric (not color, but material and weave), so we decided to give it a try using the same technique. Kara didn't have issues with the color transferring to clothes, so I'm hoping we'll have the same luck. We thought about using spray fabric paint, but were concerned that it would change the texture of the fabric, so decided to try dye first.
After the first and second coat, the gray looks very purple, so I think using jet black dye will be our best option. I'm going to get more dye tomorrow and give it a try.
So no finished projects this weekend, but that's ok :) Hopefully, I'll have lots to share soon!