I've been playing around with a few options, but once I found the Skubb drawer at Ikea and thick bamboo on clearance at a local craft store, I was excited to get started! The plan included, a simple top that was built to fit around the drawer with bamboo legs for the base.
This project is a perfect example of how David and I work together ... he loved the idea of a box built to fit a fabric drawer, but the bamboo legs, not so much. I saw the bamboo and instantly thought they'd be perfect for legs (painted of course...) because they're different from standard lumber, add detail and cheap! David saw them and recognized that hollow = more difficult to attach and work with.
David wasn't sure, but as usual, he was up to the challenge! We made our way to checkout ... $10 total for both nightstand bases!
Lets get started!
First, below are the basic materials that we used to make the nightstands. Read on to see how we did it!
After drawing up a plan, we made a box to fit around the drawer out of MDF. Prior to assembling the box we painted the inside while it was easy to access.
First, we worked on the bamboo. We looked at the sections before we cut and for the most part, they were pretty straight. Prior to attaching them, we rotated them so that it would look as straight as possible.
Since they were hollow, we would need to put something inside so that the legs could securely attach to the top. After a little trial and error, we came up with cutting an insert out of a 2x2. Since all of the bamboo is different, we dipped the ends in paint as a guide and then cut it out with the jigsaw.
We then drilled through the 2x2 to insert a dowel rod (long enough to fit through the MDF as well). Prior to installing the dowel rod we put Gorilla Glue on the rod so that it would be extra strong.
Then we inserted the entire piece into the bamboo leg using Gorilla Glue again. Finally, we inserted the leg into the top, using, you guessed it, Gorilla Glue. We decided to use Gorilla Glue because it is strong and expands into crevices once dry.
I also drew a little diagram cutting through the nightstand to help explain.
For the X on the bottom, we measured, and marked where they would go. Drilled a large hole, and then widened it to fit the curve of the bamboo with a cutting attachment on the dremel. The top piece of the X sits in the bottom, so we cut the bottom piece a little so it would sit. Finally, we used more Gorilla Glue to secure it. We used clamps throughout, so that it would bond tightly.
Since we were using something organic, a lot of pieces had to be custom fit to the shape of the bamboo. Those steps could have been eliminated if we used pre cut lumber. Clearly we like to challenge ourselves ... sometimes yes, but actually we didn't know it would require this much customization when we started. I'm so glad that it turned out like I had envisioned in the end!
After it was built, I thought it looked a little skimpy/cheap at the top ... We used a little left over molding (cut at 45s and attached it with Epoxy) to add a little extra dimension and visual weight on top. Plus it's perfect so that things don't roll off of it!
Prior to painting, we filled any cracks in the bamboo with wood filler and once dry, sanded.
I primed it with Zinsser Cover Stain (two coats) and finished it with Sherwin Williams Pro Classic, Alabaster (two coats).
Now onto my favorite part - the drawers! We used the Skubb drawer from Ikea with a fabric wrapped 1/8" piece of luan. First we measured and drilled where we wanted the panel to attach to the drawer. I wrapped it like the Rast dresser. Then I cut and sewed a loop on the front for the pull, and went through the pre-drilled holes with upholstery thread and a long needle (about 4 times per section).
You can see the detail of the attached panel a little better in the photo below.
A few week's ago we installed the guest room chandelier in our room. I love the soft light that it puts off.
This the best straight on shot I can get since it's tight in front of the bed ... maybe I'll get a wide angle lens soon (any suggestions for a Nikon?)
Love the added detail that the molding adds. I think it really helps to dress up the MDF.
I picked up a candle from Target's fabulous selection (so many great one's to choose from!) Target is SO good recently!
I swapped the organic chevron duvet for a lighter weight white coverlet for the summer (from TJ Maxx).
Cost Breakdown + Sources:
MDF: Habitat ReStore (left over from open shelving unit)
Bamboo: Beverly's (local craft store) $3 for each 8' pole (3 total), .50 small bamboo (2 total)
Zinsser Cover Stain Primer: Home Depot
Sherwin William Pro Classic Paint Alabaster
Skubb Storage Drawers: Ikea, $8 each
Fabric: World Market kitchen towel $4
Coral Striped Runner: Target
I had the paint and glue on hand so the total cost of the new parts was $30 or $15 each!
This is the last project for the bedroom, since we started redoing it in March, so I'll be giving a little tour of the projects soon!