Friday, January 18, 2013

How to Make a Removable Drum Shade Cover



A year or two ago I picked up a large drum shade from a Crate and Barrel outlet. Even though I had no place to put it, I had to buy it since it was only $20, yes only $20! The shade alone could easily cost $50. It is the eden white pendant from CB2 , (Crate and Barrel sister store). Since it plugs into an outlet,  David is going to retrofit it so there are no wires showing. He's a keeper!

As we are wrapping up the office design, I decided that I wanted to add something simple and textural. I landed on shade that is kinda a cross between this one from lamps plus and this one from anthropologie

Wednesday, I went to the fabric store and rummaged through the muslin remnants and got about 2 yards. I chose one with a looser weave because I wanted it to have a gauzy appearance once I ripped the strips. A tighter weave will give less frayed edges.


First I made the base for the fabric to attach to, 8" high and a few inches longer than the circumference of the shade. I wanted something a little heavier, so I used a king pillow case. I decided to finish the edges, finished or unfinished would work.

I tore 3" stripes of the muslin and pinned on the base. I just made a small cut and then ripped the rest, it only takes about 10 seconds per strip and you don't have to worry about it being straight!



and sewed about 1/2" from the top edge. 

I wanted the rows to be close together, so I repeated the steps, overlapping the rows about 1".


When I reached the top, I let a few inches overhang and sewed about a 1/2" from the edge. I folded the fabric even with the top of the base and ironed the edge. I then carefully (making sure it wasn't too short) ripped off the extra fabric so it had the overhang that I wanted.


I placed no sew adhesive underneath the top piece and ironed so that the top would be flush.


To connect the two ends, I folded the hem over and ironed with no sew adhesive.


I attached velcro to secure the ends, and attached it to the shade! This is perfect for those like me that change their mind a lot so that it leaves the shade undamaged.


Then I pulled tightly around the shade and it was good to go!


I temporarily attached it the current fixture...




It came with a diffuser, so no worries about harsh lighting!


If you are learning to sew, this is probably one of the easiest things to make since you don't even have to sew a straight line (since they all get covered :) Also, this project could of been made even easier by laying it all out at once with no sew adhesive underneath and simply ironing! I didn't have enough adhesive, so I decided just to sew it.

Total time: about 2 hrs (probably about 1 hr if using no sew adhesive!)

Total money invested:

2 yards Muslin ($1.50 yard with coupon) $3.00
I already had the fixture and velcro

Here are are few fixture options, CB2 is the fixture that I used (found at an outlet), Ikea also has a similar option here although it is not a pendant and just surface mounted.

Total investment this week, $3.00! Total overall investment $26.00 (thank goodness for outlets!)

--

Also, my painting is moving and the gallery wall is getting a major overall this weekend. I found almost everything I needed at Habitat Restore for only $15! Stay tuned!

Other projects this weekend: Eames chair and desk! Hopefully we'll get a lot done!

Happy Friday friends, I hope you have a great weekend!

6 comments:

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! I love hearing what you think! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover