This weekend got a little sidetracked because David had to finish some work from his day job and I had a 24 hour bug. So project time was confined to only Sunday afternoon.
Here's a little chair update.
The quote came back from the upholster specializing in Eames restoration as I expected, high. Spending over $700 is not an option, especially combined with the price of the chairs plus shipping would be nearing $1,000. Yikes!
After a visit to an upholstery supply shop and speaking with an associate there, I realized that not replacing the foam was not a good option. At the shop I found, a high density 1" foam, trim to clamp the fabric onto the shell, and adhesive to attach the foam and fabric. Total cost would be around $75, a lot better than $700, but more than I was anticipating.
I used a plastic kitchen scrapper to remove most of the foam. Yes, even though it only took about 45 minutes, my hand is still cramped! Now I have the left over adhesive to remove.
At this point, believe it or not, I started thinking about how great it would look, all white with a sheepskin pillow for the bottom and the aluminum base.
Kinda like this. Except it would be a cushion on the bottom, but same feel.
|amber interior design|
via modern jane design
After doing some research, to remove the rest of the foam and adhesive, I think the easiest way would be with an orbital sander. This part does scare me a little bit ...
Based on time, cost and look, I'm leaning towards leaving the upholstery off and replacing it with a bottom cushion. In any event, it will be done soon!
Thanks again for bearing with me!