I've gotten a few requests for how I made my bedskirt, since I made it before I started my blog I thought I would do a quick post on how I did it.
I started with an existing queen bedskirt that I got on clearance from Target for around $6 and about 3 yards of fabric, Covington Windsor Citrus.
I cut a few rectangles for my panels with allowance for hems 3'3" x 1'5" (x4) 2'9" x 1'5" (x2) and the piece to go behind the seams 6" x 1'5"(x3) 8" x 1'5" (x2)
I sewed the raw edges, and then attached it to the bedskirt by sewing at the top. The 6" pieces were placed behind the larger rectangles, 8" in the corners, pinned and then sewed.
This could easily be turned into a non sewing project by using no sew tape (just make sure to do a test piece first to make sure you can't see through once ironed) Heat n' Bond is my favorite no sew adhesive, I purchased it at Joann fabrics.
I found this method very easy! Since I am a visual person, having an existing template to work with was very helpful to make sure that it was going to fit.
1. If purchasing a new bedskirt, make sure to put it on your bed first to see if it will work. Mine was about an inch too short, so I increased the length of my fabric.
2. Make sure that your 6" and 8" pieces are wide enough to hide the bedskirt behind.
3. Make sure to check your yardage needed, it may differ based on the height of your bedskirt. With the way the pattern was run, I was able to use the entire 54" width and non printed edges of the fabric and get the two 2'9 x 1'5" on the side of the 3'3" x 1'5" pieces. I think I only used about 2.5 yards of fabric ...
and that's it! I would say the whole project took about 3-4 hours.
Please let me know if something isn't clear, I made it a while ago so I might of missed something!